Stick-Gods ~ The Power of Ra
Stick-Gods ~ The Power of Ra
With the doors almost ready to open for Comic-Con International in San Diego, Marvel Comics is opening the floodgates to their massive online comics archive, Marvel Unlimited—for only 99 cents. For the next week, a dollar will buy you a month of total access to Marvel’s online cache of over 15,000 comics.
I’m sure this is making the rounds already, but just to make sure everyone sees this — this is a really good trial.
I started going to the dojo when I was in sixth grade. It was a very masculine environment; there weren’t a lot of other girls there but the male senseis who ran the place were great guys and they genuinely loved having female students because we were such a rarity.
Now back in sixth grade I was tinier even than what I am now, and now I’m only 5’2. Then I was probably even under 5’0. I mean I was a squirt of a kid. But I loved to fight; I loved to be in the ring, I loved the adrenaline rush and I loved having punches hurled at me. It was fun for me. Our dojo did full-contact sparring, which was pretty brutal. These were the only rules:
- you must wear a mouth guard and gloves
- no hits below the belt
That’s pretty much it.
Anyway every Thursday was Fight Night, where all we did was spar each other. And on my First Night Sensei Diven—who has since passed, bless his soul—paired me up with this really cocky and assholish brown belt to show me the ropes a little. This brown belt kid was bigger than me by a lot; he must have been at least six feet and twice my weight. But man was I excited to get into the ring! I had a fight boiling in my blood.
Now, Sensei Diven was not a stupid man and he hated high-ranking kids that showed a bad attitude. This kid had a bad attitude. So he must have seen the evil gleam in my eye from a mile away and decided it was time for a little improvisation.
Anyway, Sensei yelled, “Start!” and I leapt into fight stance and the other kid didn’t even put his hands up. He was laughing at me, sneering, the whole nine yards. “I’ll give you a free one.” he joked, and he slapped his side. “You barely weigh 100 pounds and you’re a girl. So go ahead, little girl. Hit me.”
And I hit him. I cocked my leg up as high as it would go and roundhouse kicked him right in the ribs with all of my might and all of the contempt I felt for his stupid cocky face which was covered in ugly-ass freckles and his nasty-ass braces. And I heard a crack. Like a real snap! sound. And the kid has a look of surprise on his face like it was nobody’s business, and then he goes right to the floor like a sack of potatoes.
Now, Sensei Diven leisurely strolls over from the group of black belts who are laughing their asses off at me, the tiny little white belt, sending my Goliath to the floor. I mean they’re laughing so hard they look like they’re about to pee themselves. They think it’s a game. And in his great booming voice he hollers:
“Brown Belt! Why are you on the floor? Do you not see this white belt has been assigned to fight you?”
And meanwhile he is just crying. I broke one of his ribs.
And Sensei Diven just squats down next to this poor kid and whispers, “Don’t you know that women are made of pain?”
I AM SCREAMING.
Such a badass.
oh my god best
“Don’t you know that women are made of pain?” might be one of the most powerful, accurate descriptions of women ive ever heard.
I have never reblogged something so fast in my life
it’s exactly what you think it is
- The quiet, stoic man who is only antisocial because he is secretly gay
- The bisexual woman who turns out to be really actually straight
- The bisexual man who turns out to be really actually gay
- Sex solving relationships
- Dysfunctional relationships having no-caveat happily-ever-afters
- Strong women ending up being submissive to men
- People changing their personalities without reason
- People solving all of their problems the first time
- Relationships curing mental illnesses
- Ability not matching training
- The girl being a virgin but the guy being uber-experienced
- The girl having sexual experience and being shamed for it
- Girls having had lots of sex being seen as self-destructive while guys having had lots of sex being seen as normal
- People adjusting to rapid changes in their lives with no difficulty
- The girl fixing the broken guy (usually through sex)
- People having the necessary abilities without doing any work
- The main character being the smartest person in the room
- The main character being great at whatever they try
- The main character being able to do everything and solve every problem
- Magic without consequences
- Hidden magical societies for no reason
- The main character who is a reader
- The petty teenage girl whose only real sins are not being a reader and liking fashion
- The child who is “wise beyond their years”
- Stories that take an extended period of time with no apparent seasons
- Battles that don’t account for the environment
- Mythical creatures only being based in Christian or European mythology
- The only mythical creatures in East-Asian-inspired stories being dragons
- Everyone being cisgenered, white, and heterosexual
- Women needing to be saved by men
- Rape of a woman as a motivator for a male relative/friend/romantic or sexual partner
- Murder of a woman as a motivator for a male relative/friend/romantic or sexual partner
- Unqualified people ending up in charge of making major decisions
- The missing parent who is uber-powerful
- The dysfunctional parent
- The white savior
- The token black character
- The token gay character
- Judeo-Christian or Abrahamic morality in a non-Judeo-Christian/Abrahamic society
- Having cities with no poverty
- Continuously available clean water in non-modern/first-world country
- Conlangs being based on Romance languages
- Conlangs having excessive apostrophes
- Made-up biology
- A lack of research
» Because only Vin Diesel could ever be ridiculously nerdy enough to attend the UK world premiere red carpet for Guardians of the Galaxy wearing a “I am Groot” t-shirt and walking on stilts
“The key to Luna is that she has that unbelievably rare quality of actually not giving a damn what anyone else thinks of her.” - J.K. Rowling
…is a species of Plume Moth (Pterohoridae) which occurs on most of mainland Australia, the Ryukyu Islands, and Java. Adults typically fly from spring through fall, and feed mainly on nectar/pollen. Stangeia xerodes larvae feed on Cleome spp, Cajanus cajan, and Acacia spp.
The collision between the Milky Way Galaxy and the Andromeda Galaxy.
the grand showdown
Andromeda is a bit bigger than us. So when that happens, Andromeda’s black hole is gonna consume our black hole in a vicious act of galactic canabalism.
Which is an actual term used in astronomy apparently.
“Galactic Cannabalism” sounds like an electro/death metal fusion band.
Galactic cannibalism is one of my favourite astronomical terms, but it doesn’t beat the term used for the stretching out into a long thin tube that occurs when something falls into a black hole (spaghettification) or the term used for a rock thought to be a meteorite but which later turns out to be an ordinary terrestrial rock (meteowrong).
And they look like giant Beyblades while doing it.
This is so accurate. At school, we literally have children who will watch our facial expressions to see if them falling is as bad as they think it might be.
CORRECT CHILD INJURY PROCEDURE:
- do not react. at the most, maybe wince and go “ooooh”
- go over to the child to assess panic level and severity of injury
- if they’re like, dying, remain calm, but they’re probably not.
- look them in the eye and ask, “you okay?” they will nod. possibly all teary-eyed. then ask, “are we gonna need to cut it off?”
- the child is thrown off. if they giggle, you’re in the money. if they do not, put a bandaid on and do some sympathetic patting. they are probably a little teary. let the sad little bug sit out for a minute. they will quickly get bored.
- works every time
"sad little bug" is the cutest and most accurate term ive heard used to describe a child because sometimes bugs are kinda super cute sometimes bugs are really fucking annoying and sometimes bugs are downright TERRIFYING